Enjoy the perfect pairing of sweet and tart flavors in these deliciously moist orange muffins with chocolate chips.
There is nothing quite like starting the day off on a sweet note. This Orange Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe has that sweetness, but it also has the bold citrus flavor too, which makes it double-y irresistible.
There are real oranges in these muffins, not just flavoring, so you know you’re going to get freshness in every bite.
Chocolate for Breakfast?
Heck yes! But don’t worry, the oranges help balance out the sweetness. The semi-sweet chocolate chips inside these zesty muffins just take breakfast to another level.
But don’t stop at breakfast—toss these muffins in a lunch box and they make a yummy mid-day treat, also.
If you are looking for a more traditional (errr, healthy) breakfast, be sure to check out some of these options:
Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
Homemade muffins that are delicious and super-easy to make? Yes, please!
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
⅓ cup melted butter
½ cup milk
1¾ cup flour
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
How to Make the Best Orange Muffins
Before I jump into the recipe, a few tips will ensure that your orange muffins with chocolate chips turn out flawlessly.
Don’t overbeat – If you beat the batter like cake batter, your muffins won’t rise.
Don’t overfill – Keep the muffin molds no more than 3/4 filled.
Place on the center rack – Back them on the center rack of the oven for the best results.
Substitute butter – Omit the butter for vegetable oil for less fluffy, but lighter, muffins.
Preheat the oven to 380°F. Line your muffin tin with the liners.
Cut one of the oranges in half. Squeeze the juice from both halves into a small bowl and reserve the juice for later. Peel the second orange, then cut it into small pieces.
Add the egg, sugar, milk, orange pieces, reserved juice, and melted butter to a medium mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
Pour the liquid mixture into the large mixing bowl atop the dry mixture. Now, gently fold in the chocolate chips making sure the batter is well combined. Remember not to heavily beat the batter, just mix until the batter is moist.
Spoon the batter into your lined muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the muffin tops are golden brown.
Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before serving. The chocolate chips inside the orange muffins will be ooey gooey! They are also quite amazing once they are cooled if ooey gooey isn’t your thing.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the counter or up to 5 days in the fridge.
The vibrant colors and flavors of these orange chocolate chip muffins will make them the star of any breakfast or brunch.
Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- ½ cup milk
- 1¾ cup flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 380°F. Line muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.
- In large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cut one of the oranges in half. Squeeze the juice from both halves into a small bowl; reserve for later. Peel the second orange, then cut it into small pieces.
- Add egg, sugar, milk, orange pieces, reserved juice, and melted butter to a medium mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the large mixing bowl atop the dry mixture. Gently fold in the chocolate chips making sure the batter is well combined.
- Spoon the batter into your lined muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the muffin tops are golden brown.