This recipe is for a delicious one-pan dinner of chicken smothered in a creamy Pecorino Romano cheese sauce, ready to serve in just 30 minutes.
Here at Cool Bean Cooking, I really try to focus on recipes that come together quickly, aren’t difficult to make, and—most importantly—taste amazing. This recipe for One-Pan Pecorino Chicken checks all those boxes.
The creamy cheese sauce is dripping with goodness, while the chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and spinach offer up a filling kick of protein.
Looking for a fresh side dish to go along with chicken dinner? Give my Green Apple Couscous Salad a try, it is delicious!
What is Pecorino Romano?
Pecorino Romano is a well-known and distinctive Tuscan region cheese that is made from 100% sheep’s milk. It has a stronger flavor profile than Parmesan cheese, which tends to be very mild. You will commonly see the two kinds of cheese interchanged with each other.
I choose to cook most often with Pecorino over Parmesan because I prefer its earthy flavor. Take a look at some of my other recipes that feature this wonderful cheese:
One-Pan Pecorino Chicken
This Italian-inspired recipe requires just a few ingredients. Nothing too fancy, most are pantry staples.
2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1½ cup baby spinach
⅔ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated
¾ cup heavy cream
1 cup chicken broth
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp minced garlic, smashed
2 tsp oregano
salt & pepper to taste
The great thing about this meal is you only need a single skillet to prepare it. I love using my Lodge cast iron pan, but any large skillet you have will get the job done.
How to Make Recipe
Start by pounding your chicken so that all the pieces are roughly the same thickness. To do this, place the chicken breasts between two layers of plastic wrap and pound them with a meat mallet to a uniform thickness. Then, transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board and cut into bite-sized pieces, and set aside.
Heat the olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the garlic until it’s golden brown, then add in the chicken. Cook it for approximately 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Season with salt & pepper, to taste. I know people don’t like when a recipe says “to taste” but really, there’s no better way to put it. Use as much or as little salt and pepper as you desire.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
Add your cream and chicken broth to the skillet and scrape any browned bits from the pan. Add in oregano along with the grated Pecorino cheese and whisk together until the cheese begins to melt, about 3-4 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the sun-dried tomatoes and baby spinach. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the spinach wilts.
Now, place the chicken back into the pan and continue to simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Season with additional salt & pepper, if desired, then remove from heat. Serve it your favorite side salad (I love it alongside this roasted artichoke salad) and you have a wonderful meal.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Looking for another fantastic one-pan chicken recipe? Give my Artichoke Tomato Chicken recipe a try. It’s so good!
Delicious chicken breast smothered in a creamy pecorino romano cheese sauce with tomatoes and spinach. Ready in just 30 minutes, making it perfect for a quick weeknight meal with easy clean-up.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1½ cup baby spinach
- ⅔ cup Pecorino Romano cheese finely grated
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp minced garlic smashed
- 2 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place chicken breasts between two layers of plastic wrap and pound with meat mallet to a uniform thickness. Transfer chicken to cutting board and cut into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
- Heat olive oil and garlic in large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute garlic until golden brown; add chicken, cooking approximately 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Season with salt & pepper, to taste. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- To the skillet, add cream and chicken broth and scrape browned bits from pan. Add oregano along with the grated cheese and whisk until the cheees begins to melt, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the sun-dried tomatoes and baby spinach. Simmer, stirring ocassionally, until the spinach wilts.
- Place the chicken back in the pan and continue to simmer another 3-4 minutes. Season with additional salt & pepper, if desired, then remove from heat and serve.