A healthy recipe for Mediterranean whitefish prepared with a delicious sun-dried tomato and olive tapenade. Enjoy this restaurant-quality meal in less than 30 minutes.
The Mediterranean Diet is very popular right now. It is inspired by the eating habits of the people of Greece, Italy, and Spain. Some of the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet include being effective for weight loss, being anti-inflammatory, and helpful to the immune system. The American Heart Association and American Diabetes Association recommend the Mediterranean diet as a healthy dietary pattern that may reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes.
This blog post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
What is Tapenade?
Tapenade is a Provencal dip or spread that is made from olives, anchovies, and capers. It is easy to make and is a wonderful accompaniment on a cheese board, It is often added as a base for a sauce. It does have a slightly bitter taste, but can be softened with the addition of seasonings. Tapenade is packed with healthy nutrients, making it a great substitute for other condiments like ketchup and mustard.
What Type of Whitefish Should I Use?
According to SeafoodNutrition.org, whitefish (or white fish) is generally a mild-flavored, often slightly-sweet fish, which can be interchangeable in recipes. It is great for pan-frying, broiling, grilling, using in soups and chowders, and baking. It can be delicate, so keep an eye on it while cooking so it is flaky vs. mushy. The generic term “white fish” is used here because this recipe will work with any locally available mild, firm white fish.
Types of whitefish include:
Mediterranean Whitefish with Tapenade
This dish is perfect for a weeknight meal since it comes together quickly, and it is full of flavor!
(4) 6 oz white fish fillets
3 oz Feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, cut in wedges
salt & pepper, to taste
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
¼ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
¼ cup green olives, pitted and chopped
1 tbsp capers, drained
1 tsp anchovy paste
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
I highly recommend preparing the tapenade a day or two in advance to allow the flavors to fully develop. This will also cut the prep time for this recipe to just a minute or two – and you can’t beat that!
Prepare the tapenade by combining all the tapenade ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine everything and then transfer half of the mixture to your food processor and quickly pulse until finely chopped – but not smooth. Return the mixture to the bowl and stir with the rest of the tapenade. Cover it and set it aside, or refrigerate.
Add the olive oil to a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Season the fish fillets with salt and black pepper, to taste, and add to the hot pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or just until golden brown, then turn and cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat on each edge for 1 minute or just until golden. Do not overcook.
Add the sun-dried tomato and olive tapenade to the skillet. Toss in the crumbled Feta and cook, stirring continually, just until heated through – approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer the fillets to individual serving plates. Spoon some of the warm tapenade over each fillet and serve with lemon wedges.
If you enjoy this recipe, you will love my Sicilian Fish Stew. It is whitefish again with a Mediterranean flavor. Check it out!
This light Mediterranean whitefish with sun-dried tomatoes and olive tapenade is a low-carb, healthy meal that is full of flavor and will be ready in less than 30 minutes.
Did you give this recipe a try? Let me know in the comments below. Or snap a photo and tag @coolbeanliving on Instagram!
Be sure to give my Fried Calamari Salad a try, you won’t be disappointed!
Mediterranean Whitefish Tapenade
- 4 6 oz white fish fillets
- 3 oz Feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon cut in wedges
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes drained and chopped
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup green olives pitted and chopped
- 1 tbsp capers drained
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Prepare the tapenade by combining all ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine, then transfer half the mixture to a food processor and quickly pulse until finely chopped, but not smooth. Return to the bowl and stir to combine with the rest of the tapenade. Cover and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Season the fish fillets with salt and black pepper, to taste, and add to the hot skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or just until golden brown, then turn and cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes. Repeat on each edge for 1 minute or just until golden. Do not overcook.
- Add the tapenade and Feta cheese to the skillet and cook, stirring continually, just until heated through - approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer the fillets to individual serving plates. Spoon some of the warm tapenade over each fillet and serve immediately with lemon wedges.