A complete meal that is quick and easy, this egg roll in a bowl is a perfect weeknight dinner idea when you are short on time.
There is a ton of flavor packed into this keto-friendly, low-carb 30-minute meal that is served in a bowl.
This simple stir fry meal has all the great taste that you love of a classic egg roll but without the deep-fried, greasy wrapper.
This blog post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
This simple recipe takes just about 30 minutes from start to finish. That’s not even the best part, for me. I love that it can be made with just one skillet!
One-pan meals (like this Cajun Shrimp) really add to the meal being quick and easy. Lots of pots, pans, and tools needed make for a much longer clean-up process—and that time is just as valuable as the prepping/cooking time.
1¼ lb. pork sausage
3 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 medium carrot, shredded
2 tbsp green onions, chopped
¼ cup water
½ tbsp fresh ginger, finely minced
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp tamari
½ tsp garlic powder
Salt & pepper, to taste
Toasted sesame seeds
Ground turkey can be substituted for pork sausage for an even healthier version.
How to Make an Egg Roll in a Bowl
You’ll want to begin by thinly shredding the cabbage and the carrots and finely chopping the green onions and the ginger.
Heat the wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up into tiny pieces as it cooks. Once the sausage is no longer pink, remove from heat and carefully drain any grease from the pan.
Be sure to wipe off any excess fat that may drip down the side of the pan.
Return the pan to the heat and add the water. Lower the temperature to medium heat and add in the shredded cabbage, carrots, garlic powder, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions.
Season with salt & pepper, to taste. I know some people don’t like when a recipe calls for “to taste”, but honestly, it is a personal preference. Add as much or as little salt and pepper as you desire.
Continue to cook, stirring continuously, until the cabbage wilts and the carrot softens.
Add in the rice vinegar and tamari, and continue to stir. Cook another few minutes until heated through. Don’t have tamari on hand? Whole Foods has free two-hour delivery for Amazon Prime members.
Remove the wok from the heat and transfer the stir fry to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.
You can serve it just as it is or on top of a bed of rice. If you are keeping this low-carb and Keto, be sure to make it cauliflower rice.
For other Keto recipes, try:
This simple Egg Roll Bowl makes a tasty quick, and healthy one-pan meal that you’ll want to make time and time again.
Have you tried this Egg Roll in a Bowl? Let me know in the comments below.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1¼ lbs pork sausage
- 3 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 2 tbsp green onion chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Heat wok over medium-high heat. Add sausage, breaking it up into tiny pieces as it cooks, about 5 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink. Remove from heat and carefully drain grease from pan.
- Return wok to heat and add water. Lower heat to medium and add in cabbage, carrots, garlic powder, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions. Season with salt & pepper, to taste. Continue to cook, stirring continuously, until the cabbage wilts and the carrot softens.
- Add rice vinegar and tamari, continue to stir. Cook another 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.