Crowd-pleasing Mexican-style low-carb ground beef taco skillet dinner made in just 30 minutes.
Your favorite parts of a taco are included in this super quick meal that is perfect for a busy weeknight. I love enjoying this meal with these easy sheet pan nachos.
This blog post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
I have been busy in the kitchen this week creating some new Mexican-themed recipes. It’s been a lot of fun, and very yummy! If you are a fan of dishes from south of the border, give this quick taco skillet a try along with my Tomatillo Salsa Verde, Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, and Easy Beef Enchiladas.
What’s in this Taco Skillet Dinner?
This easy and versatile 30-minute beef taco skillet can be served a main course or even as a hearty appetizer.
can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
salt & pepper
The best part of this quick and easy dinner is that it is you can put your own twist on it. Add in what you have on hand, or what you like. Nothing is off-limits.
Some popular toppings are:
One Pan Taco Skillet Dinner
Add your olive oil to your skillet. I like to use a heavy cast-iron skillet for this meal, but any deep, heavy skillet will work. Add the diced onion and garlic then season with salt and black pepper.
Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and develops some color, about 5 minutes.
Add the ground beef to your skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove the skillet from heat and carefully drain excess fat.
I made a super quick taco seasoning. It’s made with stuff that I usually have on hand in my spice cabinet and I find it to be much more flavorful than the store-bought packets.
Add in your taco seasoning and tomatoes with green chilis. Cook, stirring frequently until the tomatoes are heated through and the beef mixture is thoroughly coated in the taco seasoning.
Remove from heat and top with shredded cheese. Cover for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
For tacos: Use taco shells or lettuce wraps, with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, and extra cheese
For nachos: Use tortilla chips, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, and avocado
If you like this super easy dinner idea, I know you’ll also enjoy my Easy Homemade Sloppy Joe Sandwiches.
This easy one-pan taco dinner is an inexpensive family favorite meal that can be made quickly any night of the week.
Have you given this meal a try? Snap a photo and tag @coolbeanliving on social so I can see!
One Pan Taco Skillet
- 1¼ lbs ground beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 6 oz Mexican-style cheese blend shredded
- ½ white onion diced
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and develops some color, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from skillet.
- Add taco seasoning and tomatoes with green chilis. Cook, stirring frequently until tomatoes are heated through and the beef mixture is thoroughly coated in the taco seasoning.
- Remove from heat and top with shredded cheese. Cover for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.