Chocolate covered strawberries are easy to make and decorate. They make a decadent gourmet treat or a beautiful gift.
I absolutely love chocolate covered strawberries! Whenever there was an opportunity to enjoy them, it felt special because they are so fancy and delicious. It wasn’t until I tried making them myself that I realize how EASY they were to make on my own. Now I can indulge any time I want.
This blog post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Have you purchased any chocolate covered strawberries lately? They definitely are not cheap! Whether you get them from a local bakery or a national specialty delivery shop, it’s going to cost you.
Making them yourself is actually very inexpensive. And since it is such a simple process, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be making them on your own.
The best part of strawberries dipped in chocolate? They are healthy! If you choose to use dark chocolate, it is actually GOOD FOR YOU. I talk all about the health benefits of dark chocolate over on my other blog. Knowing this makes them an even tastier treat.
Strawberries Dipped In Chocolate Are Romantic
When should you serve chocolate covered strawberries? The simple answer to that is anytime! It’s not a complicated process, so they can be enjoyed whenever you have a craving for them. However, when you want to make an occasion extra special, this romantic indulgent is perfect for:
How To Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries
When I said they were an easy dessert, I meant it. There are very few ingredients needed and they can be made quickly (plus time to set).
16 oz fresh strawberries
1 cup dark chocolate chips
¼ cup white chocolate chips
1½ tbsp coconut oil divided
¼ cup finely chopped pecans
To get started, wash your strawberries. They must be completely dry before dipping. After you wash them, do not put them back in the fridge. This will add moisture to the strawberries. If they are not 100% dry and moisture-free, the chocolate will not adhere correctly. For the best results, allow the strawberries to air dry for at least an hour before dipping in the melted chocolate.
Once dry, place the strawberries on a lined baking sheet. I like to use a non-stick silicone baking mat, but you can use parchment or wax paper if preferred.
I use dark chocolate chips, but you can certainly use dark chocolate wafers or baking squares. Place the dark chocolate and one tablespoon of coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. If you don’t have coconut oil on hand, an equal amount of canola oil or melted butter will work. This is to ensure the chocolate doesn’t break apart and fall off the strawberries when bitten into.
Microwave the chips for 20 seconds at a time, then stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is fully melted and completely smooth.
Place the dark chocolate chips and one tbsp coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the chips 20 seconds at a time, stirring between each interval, until melted and completely smooth.
Dip each of the strawberries into the dark chocolate until well covered. Gently drag the bottom edge of the strawberry along the side of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate before transferring it to the baking sheet.
Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator until the chocolate completely sets, which should take about 20 minutes.
Place the white chocolate chips and one-half tablespoon of coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Like with the dark chocolate, microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring between intervals until the chocolate is melted.
Carefully drizzle the melted white chocolate over half of the chocolate covered strawberries with a spoon. For better control and a more professional look, use a pastry bag fitted with a very small tip or an empty squeeze bottle instead.
Place your finely chopped pecans into a small bowl. Dip the bottom of the remaining strawberries in the melted white chocolate and then dip them into the bowl of chopped pecans. You’ll want to swirl the berry until the bottom of each is completely coated in the nuts. Put it on the baking sheet with the other strawberries and return to the fridge until set, approximately another 20 minutes.
When the chocolate is firm, take them out of the fridge and serve them. I don’t recommend letting them sit out too long, so plate them just as you are ready to serve.
Homemade chocolate covered strawberries make an impressive romantic gourmet treat that can be made on a budget with little effort.
If you give these a try, snap a photo and tag @coolbeanliving on Instagram. I’d love to see how they turned out!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 16 oz fresh strawberries
- 1 cup dark chocolate baking chips
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil divided
- ¼ cup pecans finely chopped
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper or baking mat. Set aside.
- Thoroughly wash strawberries and pat dry with a paper towel. Place on the prepared baking sheet and allow to air dry for one hour or until completely dry.
- Place the dark chocolate chips and one tbsp coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the chips 20 seconds at a time, stirring between each interval, until melted and completely smooth.
- Dip the strawberries into the dark chocolate until covered. Gently drag the bottom edge against the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate before transferring to the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator until the chocolate completely sets, about 20 minutes.
- Place the white chocolate chips and ½ tbsp coconut oil in a microwave -safe bowl; microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring between intervals until the chocolate is melted.
- Carefully drizzle the melted white chocolate over half the chocolate covered strawberries with a spoon.
- Place finely chopped pecans in a small bowl and set aside.
- Dip the bottom of the remaining strawberries in the melted white chocolate and then dip into the bowl of chopped pecans. Swirl until the bottom of each strawberry is completely coated in the nuts. Transfer to the baking sheet with the other strawberries and return to refrigerator until set, about 20 minutes.
- When the chocolate is firm, remove the baking sheet from the fridge and serve immediately.