A simple yet satisfying party appetizer of a colorful Caprese salad on a skewer, drizzled with a delicious warm Balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
I love making this appetizer for gatherings and get-togethers because it is seriously so simple to put together. It takes very little time, effort, and ingredients. I also especially love that since it uses a skewer there is no need for additional silverware needed.
I should also add that whenever I make these Caprese Skewers, they get gobbled up! Maybe people are drawn to them because of their vibrant colors or their freshness, but whatever it is there are never any leftovers.
These delightful appetizer skewers are based on the popular Caprese salad, originating in Italy. Basically, that just means a salad consisting of slices of fresh mozzarella and tomatoes, basil, and olive oil or Italian dressing.
According to MedicalNewsToday.com, mozzarella cheese is one of the healthiest cheese options. It is low in fat and calories and contains healthy probiotics. That’s good to remember the next time you feel guilty reaching for a slice of pizza!
The colors of the Italian flag are present in this fun and tasty appetizer. Gather just a few ingredients together to make this easy party favorite.
32 cherry or grape tomatoes
32 fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
16 fresh pearl mozzarella balls
1 cup Balsamic vinegar
I like to use 6-inch bamboo skewers for this recipe. Anything larger is really going to be too big. I usually look to make sure the kabob sticks are not pointy on both ends. It’s not a necessity, but if you wanted to serve them upright you’d have that option with a flat end.
You won’t want to miss my other fabulous skewer appetizers:
Greek Salad Skewers
Strawberry Caprese Skewers
How to Put Skewers Together
I like to use a mix of red and yellow cherry tomatoes when I am able, but plump red cherry or grape tomatoes will work just as well.
1. Thread a tomato onto a wooden skewer.
2. Fold one basil leaf in half, dark side facing out, and add it to the skewer.
3. Add one mini-mozzarella ball.
4. Add another folded basil leaf.
5. Cap with another tomato.
6. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella until you have 16 completed skewers.
7. Arrange skewers on a serving platter and set them aside.
8. Prepare the glaze by adding balsamic vinegar to a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently until the vinegar is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume, about 8-10 minutes.
9. Remove glaze from heat and cool for several minutes. Drizzle the glaze over the skewers and serve immediately.
Please note – if the Balsamic glaze is too warm when poured over the mozzarella it will melt the cheese. That’s why I let it sit for a few minutes first.
Serve these super easy Caprese skewers the next time you are having company over for a quick and yummy appetizer or snack.
Did you give this easy Caprese appetizer a try? Let me know in the comments below or snap a photo and tag @coolbeanliving on Instagram. I’d love to see it!
- 32 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 32 fresh basil leaves washed and dried
- 16 fresh pearl mozzarella balls
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Thread a tomato onto a wooden skewer. Next, fold one basil leaf in half, dark side facing out, and add it to the skewer. Add one mini-Mozzarella ball, followed by another folded basil leaf, cap with another tomato.
- Repeat with the remaining tomatoes, basil, and Mozzarella until you have 16 completed skewers. Arrange on a serving platter and set aside.
- To prepare the glaze, add balsamic vinegar to a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vinegar is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove glaze from heat and cool for several minutes. Drizzle the glaze over the skewers and serve immediately.